Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Work Ethic

Joseph's Work Ethic

One thing I love about the new testament is that it states things plainly and clearly, in a short and witty way that is easy to understand and remember. The old testament is really awesome too, but it's different. Truths are often communicated more through stories, which I also love. For the introduction to this topic, I'll start with the quick and clear summary of what I'm trying to say:

Colossians 3:23
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

Matthew 5:41
"If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles."

Luke 19:17
"And he said to him, ‘Well done, good servant; because you were faithful in a very little, have authority over ten cities.'"

In the old testament, the character who is really an inspiration to me in this matter is Joseph, who was a slave. The brother who became a slave, the slave who became a manager, the manager who was falsely thrown into a dungeon, and the prisoner who became Pharaoh's right hand man. It's quite a story! Where did it all start?

Genesis 39:2-6

"The LORD was with Joseph, and he was a successful man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. And his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD made all he did to prosper in his hand.
So Joseph found favor in his sight, and served him. Then he made him overseer of his house, and all that he had he put under his authority.
So it was, from the time that he had made him overseer of his house and all that he had, that the LORD blessed the Egyptian’s house for Joseph’s sake; and the blessing of the LORD was on all that he had in the house and in the field.
Thus he left all that he had in Joseph’s hand, and he did not know what he had except for the bread which he ate."

Everything that Joseph was in charge of, God blessed! So pretty soon, he was in charge of everything, so that everything would be blessed! Joseph's ways must have pleased the Lord, and because he was faithful in what was little, he gained more authority. Furthermore, everything he took care was not only taken care of, but blessed beyond what was just "Acceptable!" That's going the extra mile! Joseph really was working as unto the Lord, not just for his master who had "bought" him! Slaves aren't known to go out of their way for their master, but Joseph brought glory to the Lord's name through his work.

So that's basically my current work ethic. I want to please God in all that do, and I pray that He will bless everything under my charge just like He blessed Joseph's jurisdiction. I pray specifically for parts of my work that I want God to bless, and then work hard at that. And actually, going above and beyond in your workplace, in your work and your attitude, makes the job a lot less boring! It makes it all more exciting and fun! Maybe that's why I enjoy all of my work so much. God is faithful though, and DOES bless my work. I'm starting this new job, and I'm reminding myself of my work ethic. I want God to use me here, and I'm willing to work hard and do a job that I know God will be happy with. This is the secret to a happy and successful career. Joseph ended up side-kick to a ruler; and God was glorified. You wanna be a ruler? Learn to be a good servant! Make your boss successful! Go above and beyond! If you are faithful with what God gives you to take care of, God will give you more. It's exciting!

Praise God Forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment